My Summer as a College Student

My Summer as a College Student

Leanna Silva, Contributor

This summer while everyone was going to the beach or working, I had my nose in the books. Somerset Berkley Regional High School offered students the opportunity last year to take a summer course at Bristol Community College (BCC).  This program is called Dual Enrollment.

In order for students to participate in this program, they need a 3.0 GPA or higher. Also, depending on the chosen course students have to do a Math or English placement test. I decided to take this opportunity not only for my future, but to help myself adapt to college work quicker.

I encourage students to look into programs like this because BCC credits are transferable to any college. Some colleges do not accept AP courses and you get more of a hands-on experience. While Advanced Placement classes require college level work, they do not simulate a college environment. BCC is also offering students the chance of a lifetime to take a college course for free. The only thing they have to pay for is the textbook.

I chose to take the course English Composition 1. The teacher was really nice and helpful if I had any questions. The course was not stressful. The course talked about writing a Research Paper, Personal Narrative, and a Advertisement Analysis Paper. In the class there were only two students close to my age group. We did have to read passages in the textbook. The class was very interesting and informative. This program was a very great experience and it taught me that I was capable to do college work and would really enjoy it. I hope many other students go after this amazing opportunity.