A Parking Predicament

Will parking continue to plague SBRHS?

Alexander Martin, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Look, I’m going to be pretty blunt right off the bat.  We all knew this was coming, and I don’t think we prepared for it as well as we could have.  That’s not to say that this particular issue didn’t have its own problems that could have been fixed, but the core issue was one we were all alerted of when we were told about the new school.  The parking situation is one that has aroused much anger in the upper classmen of SBRHS, and not without some amount of validity.  The lack of a sufficient amount of parking passes (only one-hundred were distributed) creates issues for certain students who may require the pass, and did not receive one in time.

Now, I personally see only one core issue with how the passes were distributed, and that lies in the “first come, first serve” basis in which they were delivered.  It didn’t really matter if you got the form earlier than anyone else; all that mattered was that you got the form in as soon as possible.  This caused a fury of parent signature forgeries, as students scrambled to receive their pass.  Thus, those who wanted to abide by the rules and get an actual parent to sign the sheet lost out to those who decided to cheat.

The entire situation does make me wonder; why wasn’t this issue looked at more closely before the school year began?  It was obvious that there was going to be a lack of parking, and yet it seems like nothing was done to fix it.  Unfortunately, there isn’t really anything that anyone can do about it now.  If you didn’t get a pass, it looks like you’re going to have to find another option; perhaps carpooling or taking the bus.  In a school filled with a lot of improvements, this is a detriment that will hopefully be fixed in the school’s future years.