As a student run newspaper the Breeze expects readers to contact our editorial staff using the comment box below every story for all questions or concerns.
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Twitter

Dan’s Top 5 Films of 2011

Many great films were released during 2011.  There were too many to count.  So I would like to present what I believe are the five of the best films of the year.  Keep in mind, I didn’t see every film that came out this year so if your favorite isn’t here, I probably didn’t see it or didn’t like it as much as you did.

#5: X-Men: First Class

While I haven’t seen any of the other X-Men films (except for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which wasn’t that good), nor am I really a fan of the source material, his was probably the best superhero movie of the year.  The movie was fast-paced, had great action sequences, and interesting characters.

#4: Contagion

The plot of a deadly disease that kills people may not be the most original idea, but this is the best attempt of this idea that I’ve ever seen.  The reason for this is because instead of having some ridiculous disease that you know would never exist, the movie portrays it as a realistic virus that could exist.  The movie features a great cast, great cinematography and editing, and a great musical score.  But if you are afraid of germs, I suggest you skip this one.

#3: The Adventures of Tintin

Tintin is a character that first appeared in French comic books.  While I knew very little about the source material, I still really enjoyed this film.  In fact, it’s one of the best animated films that I’ve seen in a while.  The movie feature great action sequences, superb animation, and is fast-paced.  This film is perfect for both children and adults and fans of the comic.  For more information, check out my review on The Breeze.

#2: Super 8

Even though Steven Spielberg only produced this film, it feels like the film is one of his own.  It’s a great tribute to his work in the 80’s, right down to the plot and cinematography.  The acting, especially from the kids, is surprisingly good.  Even if you’re not a fan of the sci-fi genre, the movie has enough suspense to keep you interested.  My only complaint would be how the ending was handled.  Other than that, this is a must-see.

#1: Hugo

Not only is this the best movie of the year, it’s also the biggest surprise.  When I first saw trailers for this film I thought it would be lame children’s fantasy film.  This especially angered me since I was a big fan of the original novel.  Regardless, I went to see the film only because of the book and Martin Scorsese being the director.  What I saw was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen.  The cinematography was great, the score was fantastic, and the acting was phenomenal.  Don’t pay attention to the trailers; this film is great for people of all ages.  For more information read the review by Edan and myself on The Breeze.