When Will We Run Out Of Names?

Jason Kloch, Contributor

Names are what help people identify other friends, relatives, or some strangers. There is an estimated 5% chance that you will share the same name and birthday with someone. Your name could be written in the history books, or on a prisoner’s jumpsuit. You might share the same name with a famous celebrity or someone from the past. You can name your child anything you want, but the name cannot contain symbols, numerals, or obscure or inappropriate characters according to the New Jersey plan.

But, when will we run out of names? When will a name become a common name? When will authors start reusing book titles? In order to make a memorable name, it must be creative. Company names today can be a struggle to create. One needs to do heavy research to make sure that a said name isn’t taken. Somewhere in Seattle, Washington, and Los Angeles, a company has the name Wong, Doody, Crandall, Wiener. They are a marketing and advertising company. But what about social media handles? Platforms that don’t allow someone to have the same username as someone else force people to be more creative. One may have to add more numbers or letters at the end in order to make a unique username.  Will the people in the future be forced to have Gmail addresses comprised of random letters or numbers? I’m not one to say. The website Howmanyofme.com can tell you how many people share your first and or last name. There are 1,086,665 people in the U.S. that have my name (Jason).

Your name is just as important as your identity. Some rumors going around say that names that end in odd numbers are more likely to commit a crime, but this is mainly based on your history and family background.