INTERSTELLAR (Movie Review)

“Love is the one thing that transcends time and space…”

Colby Yokell, Contributor

“Interstellar” is an emotional and intense journey into the heart of the vast and formidable depths of intergalactic space.  Christopher Nolan’s new film offers something that can be found less and less frequently in the world of cinema.  Nolan transports us beyond the boundaries of possibility, through the curvature of time and space, and to original and imagined worlds.  This sci-fi movie was a joy to watch.

At the start of the movie, Nolan provides us with the emotional history and background of the relationship between father and daughter.  In the future, crops have caused civilization to become a failing agrarian society.  Cooper (played by Matthew McConaughey) runs a farm and his ten-year-old daughter Murphy (played by Jessica Chastain and Mackenzie Foy) soon discovers that an unknown intelligence is sending coded messages via gravitational waves.  These discoveries lead them to a secret NASA installation led by Professor Brand.  Only to find out that the world will end, Cooper agrees to pilot the spacecraft Endurance on a space mission to find a new home for humanity with crew members Amelia (Anne Hathaway), Romilly (David Gyasi), Doyle (Wes Bentley), and robots TARS (voice of Bill Irwin) and CASE (voice of Josh Stewart). Cooper’s departure devastates Murphy and they part on bad terms.

The acting of McConaughey, Chastain, and Foy in “Interstellar” is really good and for this reason, the movie has a brilliant emotional drive.  The script of this film is extremely well written with integrated science (even though it may not be one hundred percent accurate).  “Interstellar” is a complex story about love, forgiveness, sacrifice, determination, and loyalty.  Hans Zimmer’s score is incredible.  The music and the script synthesize perfectly.  Zimmer’s score is able to brilliantly capture the loneliness of space, the beauty of new worlds, and the intensity and danger of the last frontier.  The visuals of this film are absolutely stunning and seem so real.  From new worlds, black holes, wormholes, folds of time and space, and even the Endurance itself, the graphics are simply beautiful.

Interstellar is not only a sci-fi movie about space exploration, but also about a man’s determination to get back to his daughter on Earth.  Coopers’ journey into eternal darkness takes far longer than he originally thought.  Cooper learns that he was able to carry the love for his daughter with him throughout his journey across the depths of space and time.  The ending of “Interstellar” is emotional and complete.  This film is one of the best sci-fi movies I’ve ever seen.