As a student run newspaper the Breeze expects readers to contact our editorial staff using the comment box below every story for all questions or concerns.
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Twitter

How to deal with the seasonal blues

Winter
Winter

December is that time of the year where a lot of people start to get seasonal depression because of the time and weather change. It’s normal to feel like this, especially shifting from the bright summer days but we need to know how to deal with this in order to help ourselves. If we continue to let this weather bring our mood down then it’s going to have a negative toll on us but instead since winter lasts months we can try and make this time of the year as joyful as possible. 

First of all, we need to learn to embrace the darkness. I know the darkness is not appealing but everything has pros and cons. Everything is beautiful in its own way and the winter is the time to feel cozy and turn on those lights and make the environment comfortable for you. Try and embrace this new season, go and treat yourself with some hot chocolate and sit by the fireplace while being surrounded by loved ones. Every season has something new to offer and we really need to take advantage of every little thing that happens in life before it’s too late and you regret it. You can either be sad for months or make those months magical by being the main character in your own story and living this winter season to its fullest. 

There are so many things that you can do this season to make yourself feel good. You can start by putting some new lights in your room to uplift your mood, you can change your bedsheets and make them more festive, you can buy warm comfortable clothing, and you can even create your own winter playlist to romanticize the season. Some activities that you can do are going on night walks with your friends or family and just walking and seeing the Christmas lights everywhere while getting in some cardio, you can have a movie night with warm snacks or go to the movie theaters, you can start reading this time of year, doing other things you like such as painting or crocheting. You can try and do things that involve the dark like maybe stargazing which allows you to go outside and get some fresh air.

Also, don’t forget to stay on track with your goals, make sure to workout and eat healthy foods. Take care of yourself, make sure to take nice baths, stay moisturized, do some meditation, and you can even do light therapy, which drastically improves your mood. Just have a winter glow up, and, if you want, do some self-tanning if that’s something that makes you feel good because I know looking pale can affect your mood. Don’t let this season bring you the blues, instead try everyday to fight those feelings and make yourself feel great everyday. Seasonal depression sucks but don’t let that stop you from becoming the best version of yourself because as long as you’re trying that’s all that matters.