Stairs and Fence Installed in Student Parking Lot

Ryan Silverman, Editor

If you are a student who commutes to school, you have probably noticed the stairs and fence that have been put up in the student parking lot earlier this school year. You may also be wondering why this change was deemed necessary and implemented this year.  

“We had to do it to cover for safety issues,” Mr. Campos, head of maintenance and grounds at the school, said,  “The insurance company made us do something there because no one was going around and taking the stairs [on the sides of the lot].”

Mr. Campos relayed that there have been at least two people who slipped and fell cutting across the hill and as a result, the school was written up by the insurance company.

The decision to install the stairs was made in the summer of 2017 by the school committee, but the school stalled until the insurance company stepped in.  For the project, Sherry Construction Corporation was hired to build the stairs while Foxx Fence was hired for the fence.

“The fence was $4,000 and the stairs and the railings I believe was close to $12,000,” stated Mr. Campos.  He explained that the stairs were so expensive because they needed to comply with building code.

He also explained why it was decided to include a fence in the project. “The fence was put there in case because if we were to just put the stairs people still would have went up and down the hill,” Campos explained.

Many students have complained that the landing to the stairs is taking up two spots when it could have only taken up one.  Mr. Campos apologized, “It was just because I put it right across from the gymnasium entrance, not realizing I was taking two spots instead of one.  I could have probably moved it over two feet, but I noticed that after it was already done.”

All and all, the staircase has helped to ensure the safety of the students.  “I see a lot of people using it,” Mr. Campos noted,  “It has helped because no one is going down the hill.”

About the Writer
Ryan Silverman, Editor

Ryan is a senior who joined the Breeze junior year.  He is very active in the school and enjoys participating in golf team, concert band, math team,...

1 Comment

One Response to “Stairs and Fence Installed in Student Parking Lot”

1. Erica Pereira on November 6th, 2018 6:25 PM

Thank you for the information. I noticed the change but didn’t have the back story! Gracias ๐Ÿ™‚

• Stairs and Fence Installed in Student Parking Lot

Homepage Box

Somerset Berkley Captures D1 Title in 2-1 Thriller

• Arts & Entertainment

Basketball for a Cause

News

Meeting Joe Kennedy III

News

Somerset Heads to Division 1 Championship

News

Somerset Berkley Soccer Falls to Medway

Homepage Box

Somerset Berkley Field Hockey Dominates Over Canton

News

Parkland Survivors Speak at UMass Dartmouth

News

Sox Win in Five

• News

The Breeze’s Exclusive Comic: Uncle Punny

Sports

Somerset Berkley Boys Make an Impact on a Statewide Stage