Their Fight, Our Right

Italia Mahanna, Contributor

With the upcoming student council elections, we students have gotten to practice our system of democracy.  Being under the age of 18, we don’t have the right to vote yet, but one day we are going to have that right, no matter what.  Even at the high school level, we are given a way to voice our opinions, whether it is through school elections, class discussions, or even here on The Breeze.

Recently, in Hong Kong, there has been a call for more democracy in the government.  People our age have been trying to speak out because they want change.  In China, even simple ideas, such as how the government should be run and who is running it, aren’t controlled by the people.

That being said, students have begun protesting outside government buildings, trying to voice their opinions.  They were definitely heard but not listened to.  Police responded to the rapidly growing protests with tear-gas and pepper spray.  Not only do these people have no say in their leadership, but they are penalized for trying to better their country.  Teenagers were even arrested during the protests, in an attempt to detain crowds.

The rights to vote and of free speech are often taken for granted in this country.  Sometimes they’re even neglected.  Teenagers, especially, do not realize that they can have a powerful impact on issues in their community and in the nation.  Teens and adults in Hong Kong literally caused riots in order to express concern for their country and fight for what they believe is theirs.  In the US, not only are we given free speech and voting rights at 18, we are exposed to this idea of democracy throughout our lives.  It comes so easily to us, yet some people across the world must fight for it.  There is something wrong with that.  For more information and how you could even help visit:  http://blog.amnestyusa.org/asia/hong-kong-i-have-not-seen-anything-like-this-in-decades/#more-53836