Sox Win in Five

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 28:  Christian Vazquez #7 jumps into the arms of Chris Sale #41 of the Boston Red Sox to celebrate their 5-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game Five to win the 2018 World Series at Dodger Stadium on October 28, 2018 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 28: Christian Vazquez #7 jumps into the arms of Chris Sale #41 of the Boston Red Sox to celebrate their 5-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game Five to win the 2018 World Series at Dodger Stadium on October 28, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Isabella Rocha, Contributor

For 86 years, Red Sox fans weren’t sure they would ever experience another World Series victory. After trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees in 1920, fans were sure the team was cursed to never win again. But since 2004, the team has gone on to win 4 World Series titles. In 2004, the curse was broken when the Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals in a four-game series after coming back from a three-game deficit from their biggest rival, the New York Yankees. Three years later, the Red Sox swept the Colorado Rockies. The team beat the Cardinals again in 2013, and Sunday night, they beat the Dodgers four games to one to get their fourth championship win since the curse was broken.

The series started off with the first two games at Fenway. The Red Sox won game one eight to four, led by a four-hit night by Andrew Benintendi, and a three-run home run by Eduardo Núñez. Pitcher Chris Sale contributed to the win with seven strikeouts over the course of four innings. In game two, Xander Bogaerts got a double and went on to score, making the game 1-0 Boston. The Dodgers took a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning, but the Red Sox took the lead in the fifth to make the score 4-2, which was the final score.

The team runs onto the field after the last out to celebrate another World Series win.

The last three games of the series were played in L.A. with the Dodgers taking their only win in an 18-inning game three. Max Muncy hit a walk-off home run in the eighteenth inning to put the Dodgers ahead 3-2. The Red Sox battled back in game four to take their third win. After being down 4-0, the Red Sox battled back to tie it in the eighth. In the ninth, the Red Sox scored five runs, while the Dodgers only managed to score two. Mitch Moreland hit a three-run home run while Steve Pearce hit one, and Eduardo Rodríguez retired six players over the course of five innings.

In the first inning of game five, Steve Pearce hit a two-run home run. The Dodgers scored their only run in the bottom of the first with a home run hit by David Freese. Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez hit a home run in the sixth and seventh innings respectively. Pearce hit another home run in the eighth, making the score 5-1. Red Sox pitcher Chris Sale struck out Manny Machado to end the game, giving the Red Sox their fourth World Series win since 2004. Steve Pearce was named MVP of the series, and a parade will be held in honor of the team Wednesday, October 31, 2018, in Boston.