Emma Guillotte Talks About Unify Against Bullying

Isabella Rocha, Contributor

What’s this new program you’ve started?

A little over three years ago I created an anti-bullying program that I bring to schools, camps, and after-school groups. My goal in the program is to teach the students what bullying is, the impact it can leave on a person, and how to deal with it when it happens around them.

Why did you create this program?

I was bullied when I was younger, and I know it’s becoming a bigger problem, especially with social media use becoming greater with teens and children, so I decided to create this program to help put an end to this growing epidemic.

What helped you get through that experience?

At first, I tried to get help from my friends, but they were afraid of her too. I tried working through it alone because I was scared reporting it would make the situation worse, but it got worse anyway. That’s when my friends convinced me to tell my parents. When I did, they met with the school administration (teachers and principal), the superintendent, and even went to the police. Eventually, her parents moved her to another school in town, convinced I was the bully from what she told them, which stopped the situation.

How are you able to help kids through your program?

Through my program, I teach students how to deal with and prevent bullying around them, as well as the effects bullying can have on a student. By doing this, I am sensitizing them to the impact bullying has on students and teaching them that they have the power to help their peers and stop bullying. I am also teaching the ones being bullied that they aren’t alone and there’s someone around them who is able and willing to help get them out of it.

Emma Guillotte received a check to help build her anti-bullying program.

You recently got a grant for your program. What was that from?

In October, I received a $1,000 grant from Unify Against Bullying, the organization I’m partnered with, to use for anything my program needs. I’m still figuring out exactly what I’m going to use it on, but let’s just say it involves some very big things I’m adding to the program!

What’s your long-term goal with this program?

I plan to continue presenting at as many schools, camps, and clubs as I can in order to spread my message about bullying and help those affected by it.

What’s your favorite part about running this organization?

There are so many things I love about it. I love hearing all the stories of the students I’m impacting. I love seeing the students, especially the young ones, participating so eagerly. I love knowing I’m helping students who are or have experienced bullying. And I love getting one-on-one time with some of them, hearing their personal bullying stories and being able to talk with them about it.

What message do you have for anyone who is being bullied, bullies others, or witnesses bullying?

Bullying isn’t ok. There’s never a good reason to bully someone. Ever. It isn’t ok, and it doesn’t make you cool.

For those who are being bullied, please don’t suffer in silence. Know that you’re not alone and there are people who will help you. Make sure you have a supportive group of friends to help you and report the situation if you’re too afraid to do it alone.

If you witness bullying, please don’t sit there and watch or laugh and just let it happen. Be a friend to the person being bullied. Pull them away from the situation, talk with them, and report the situation. Stick up for the person and stand up to the bully. When a peer stands up to the bully, it stops faster than when just an adult gets involved. You have the power to be the change and help a person who’s being bullied. You can be the difference. Don’t let it keep happening. Stop the situation and report.