SBRHS Honors Future Teachers

Ryan Silverman, Editor

On Tuesday, May 7th, SBRHS had a Future Teacher Signing Day Ceremony to recognize seniors who were planning on going to college to become educators.

Superintendent Mr. Schoonover started the event.  He discussed the origins of the event, coming from a challenge made by Commissioner Riley to make an event just like this to honor future teachers.  He also noted that it was teacher appreciation week and that it would be a great time to recognize the teachers who inspired the future educators.  Schoonover noted that in a few years the students would graduate and would start influencing a new generation of students.  He pointed out that the best teachers are the ones who are motivated, respectful, hardworking, and challenged their students.  Schoonover explained that the students were given two teacher journals: one for themselves and one to give to an inspiring teacher.  The students were also given a letter of intent to sign, stating they were currently planning on studying in the field of education.

Dr. Lisa Battaglino, Dean of Education and Allied Studies at Bridgewater State University was the next speaker.  She talked about how Bridgewater was the oldest preparer of teachers in the United States, being in operation since 1842 and that there was not a better university for teachers.  Battaglino spoke how teaching is one of the noblest profession and commended how dedicated teachers are.

“Teachers are builders of the country,” she said, “It is one of the most important contributions you can make to the United States.”

Battaglino told the students that teachers become teachers to inspire others.  To demonstrate this, she asked different attendees who their favorite teachers were.  She ended by say the teachers a person remembers are the ones who feel, not the ones with the most scholarship.

Below are the students recognized at the event:

Abbey Belchoir: At Palmer College, she will study for a degree in Education and hopes to foster a love of learning in her students.

Andrea Civic: Attending Florida College, she will study for a degree in Elementary Education and wants to be just like her inspirational teacher, Mr. Horta.

Abigail Collins:  Going to Bridgewater State University she is pursuing a degree in Music Education in order to share her passion for music with the next generation.

Jackson Costa: Attending BCC for two years and then going to Bridgewater State University, he wants to become an English teacher so he can be an important influence on his students.

Kaylin Cunningham: At Unity College, she will seek degrees in Adventure Education and Adventure Therapy.  She hopes to be able to teach people about the world around them.

Gwenyth Duclos:  Going to Bridgewater State University, she will study for a degree in Special Education.  She thanked her mom for inspiring her to be a positive influence through teaching.

Kaitlyn Ferreira:  Attending Bridgewater State University, she will receive degrees in the Elementary and Special Education in order to pursue her lifelong dream of becoming a teacher.

Christian Golden: At Bridgewater State University, he plans on studying Education and hopes to leave a positive impact with his teaching.

Victoria Jensen: Going to Bridgewater State University, she hopes to study education.  She admires her teachers’ kindness, ability to go the extra mile, and love of teaching and hopes to bring that to her classrooms.

Catherine Ledwidge: Attending Emmanuel College, she will receive degrees in Math and Education.  She hopes to make learning exciting for all her students.

Abigail Martel: Attending BCC for two years and then going to Bridgewater State University, she will pursue a degree in Elementary Education.  She is thankful for her teacher who showed her what it took to be a leader and educator.

AJ Nascimento: Attending BCC for two years and then going to Bridgewater State University, he plans on obtaining degrees in History and Education.  He opens to make his students want to learn and love to learn.

Dominique Oliveira: At Bridgewater State University, she will work to get a degree in Special Education.  She said her source of inspiration was working at the Boys and Girls Club for her Capstone Project.

Emma Schoonover: Attending Bridgewater State University, she will study for degrees in Special and Elementary Education.  She credits her parents for inspiring to change the world by providing a safe environment for her students and bringing awareness.