Seven Question Slam: Mr. Chase

Gwen Darmody and Kyle Sousa

Mr. Chase is a very popular English teacher at SBRHS.  He teaches Journalism, Creative Writing, and Advanced Creative Writing.

Q: What did you want to be when you were a kid?

A: A marine biologist or a dolphin trainer, work with dolphins and animals. I’ve always had a thing for the ocean. I used to have my own boat, I would go out and explore the local rivers and estuaries around my house and try to find underwater animals.

Q: Who was your favorite teacher?

A: My middle school English teacher, Mr. Akers. He was at Tiverton Middle School. He was really smart and had really interesting projects for us. He had us writing a lot, creating our own poetry books and our own short stories. He had really great stories and I still think back on the stuff that he did and how it engaged me. I think of my style of writing is still attuned to my middle school English teacher, Mr. Akers.

Q: Why did you get into teaching?

A: I was working as a commercial fisherman and I was in that lifestyle, it was a hard lifestyle with lots of physical work. I saw the fisherman around me who had nice boats and nice equipment. I asked around and they were all teachers during the school year and had side jobs as fishermen. I thought they have it figured out, I want to be like that and not have to rely on the ocean to make my living. They also had a dual identity. They could be very free men working in the water and have this high level of freedom, but also change out of their dirty cloths into their nice clothes and go use their brains. They weren’t totally relying on one thing or another for their income.

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

A: Be able to breath underwater and control the ocean and the tides. Basically Aquaman’s powers.

Q: Who is your celebrity crush?

A: Special Agent Dana Scully from the X Files who was played by Gillian Anderson.

Q: What’s your favorite song?

A: “Harvest Moon” by Neil Young.

Q: What was your favorite childhood cartoon?

A: Thundercats was really cool.