A Tribute to Our Senior Editors

Colby Yokell and Sydney Mis

Dear Kate and Cam,

It is incredibly bittersweet to think that inevitable day has almost arrived; the day in which you both will take your next step into a world full of new experiences and opportunities. The world is opening up for you both – new places to be explored, new people to meet, new classes to take, and new jobs to get – and the world you have waited for your whole life is now at the edge of your fingertips.

Honestly, it is incredibly difficult for us to write this because the impact that you have had on both The Breeze and your fellow journalists cannot possibly be adequately expressed, for there are no words to describe the impact that you have had on our lives. However, we will try our best because refusing to do so would be a disservice to all that you have done for us, this school, and this newspaper.

For years, we have looked up to both of you – your writing, curiosity, and desire for facts has created two distinct eras in the school’s newspaper (at least as long as we have been here): The Breeze before you and The Breeze after you. Your work at the newspaper has elevated The Breeze to a new caliber — one in which even freshmen journalism students are not afraid to go directly to administration to cover all sides of the story, all points of view, and all of the facts — all because of the precedents that you have set.

Both of you have inspired us to attempt to follow in your footsteps in The Breeze. We have tried to make our articles about school policy modeled after Kate’s incredible work. We have tried to make our articles about sports and breaking news modeled after Cam’s. However, we could never hope to do as much to advance the future of The Breeze as both of you have. You have given The Breeze a new spotlight and a real chance to make a difference within the school and the community.

Kate, you have given so much to both us and The Breeze that we will ensure future contributors and editors will never forget the name Kathrine Esten and all that you have done for everyone here at The Breeze.

You are largely responsible for making a name for The Breeze, and a great one at that. Your articles have received high praise from many both within the school and within the community. You have, quite simply, demonstrated how journalism should be done.

You have been an inspiration to us all. You have encouraged us to step out of our comfort zones and you have even made it possible for us to discover our passion for journalism and even for one of us to pursue a college degree in it.

On another note, you have always been there with helpful advice – whether that be help with a certain class, how to study for particular AP exams, and, of course, a worldly person with whom we discuss local and national news. We will miss your insight on politics. We will simply miss talking to you and laughing with you. There are no words that are able to adequately describe what your friendship means to us.

As for Cam, you have also been an inspiration for many other students and members of The Breeze. Your diverse range of stories — from school news, sports coverage, to stories about new and unique adventures — have encouraged other student journalist to branch out and write about anything they desire.

Your drive and hard-work are, to say the least, awe-inspiring. You never fail to grab the news, write it up brilliantly, and release it to the students of SBRHS. You never fail to go deeper and deeper, to dig up the facts, and to let students know how the sports teams are doing when they miss a game. You never fail to simply report the news, the truth, in a fun and informative way.

From inspiring students to branch out of their comfort zones and report a wide range of news, to having such an amazing work ethic and drive, you truly are an inspiration and will be missed. But, we are sure that as you venture off to college, you will continue to encourage and inspire everyone around you. So thank you, Cam. Thank you for not just being a part of The Breeze, but leaving a legacy that will inspire and encourage not just us, but many students to come!

We hope that this has been able to say the things we have left unsaid for almost three years.

Overall, we, the junior editors, as well as the entire staff at The Breeze feel so proud to have been part of the image you have created for our school newspaper. You have made us proud, Mr. Chase and Ms. Copeland proud, and we hope you have made yourselves proud.

It has been such a privilege to have had the opportunity to work with you, to know you. We hope that one day we can do for someone else what you have done for us. We hope to carry on your legacy and make you proud.

All of us at The Breeze wish you, Kate, the best of luck at UMass Amherst (political science) and you, Cam, at the University of New Haven (forensic science). All of us at The Breeze will be your biggest supporters, cheering you along and wishing you the best of luck every step of the way, wherever that path may take you.

And we will always be there to welcome you home.

Thank you – for everything.

Your junior editors,

Colby Yokell and Sydney Mis