A Shocking Somerset Defeat (Freshman Football)

Chase Franco, Contributor

Although Wareham had an inability to catch long passes, they won a tough game against the freshman Raiders on a chilly Friday evening.  The Raiders on the other hand, were succeeding at lengthy runs and doing quite well.  At the start of the first quarter, Steven Fralick returned a fumble for a 43 yd Raider touchdown, and Nick Viveiros picked off a poorly executed pass by Wareham.  They were looking great. When the second quarter began, the Raiders were up by 14 and were playing very aggressively. After a lengthy 3 and out, the Raiders defense came out, not nearly as strong as the offense. They allowed the Vikings to get too many yards, which lead to their first TD, making the score 14-8. When the offense came back out, the Raiders started gaining yards quickly and lanes started opening up, due to strong blocks from Zachary Martin and Lucas Faria. With the half over, the score remaining 14 for the Raiders and 8 for the Vikings.

When the half began, the Raiders defense was still not doing well, and Wareham scored again, tying the score at 14-14.  After not getting a first down on a 4th and 2, it was up to the Raiders to hold back the Vikings from taking the lead.  And they did just that.  It wasn’t until the next possession that the Vikings scored again, giving them 22 un-answered points and an 8 point lead.  Somerset needed to step it up.  Due to a powerful Vikings defense, Raider’s Ryan Beaulieau suffered a minor injury, but only left the game for a short time.

Realizing that they needed to score soon, Somerset’s Sam Baker gained an immense amount of yards, leading to a touchdown by Steven Fralick (22-20)!  The Raiders needed a 2 point conversion to tie the game, and the ball was going back to Sam!  Unfortunately, he fell short of the conversion, and an onside kick followed.  The kick went 10 yards, but the Raiders did not recover it, and thus the defense needed a stop!  Unfortunately, the Raiders failed to stop the feisty offense, allowing them to score again, causing the energy to die down.  All around, the Raiders played sloppily and that led to their painful 30-20 defeat.