Pinhole Photography

When you hear the term “photography”, immediately you think of someone clicking away on a camera, getting the desired picture almost immediately. In Advanced Photography Studio, photos are not just taken with a digital camera.

Photo taken by Faye Silvia

Photo taken by Faye Silvia

Photo taken by Faye Silvia

Faye Silvia, Contributor

Pinhole Photography is a historical way of taking a photo. Also known as a “camera obscura,” the pictures are taken by an unsuspecting box. The process begins with creating the camera itself. Traditionally, the camera body would be a wooden box, but Mrs. Troutman creatively used empty Altoids tins to make them more portable.

A large hole is drilled into the cover of the tin first, then a sheet of aluminum is placed behind the hole. Next, a tiny hole — legitimately the size of a pin — is pierced into the thin aluminum. The small hole becomes the “camera lens” and it projects an image onto photosensitive paper kept in the tin, but inverted and flipped horizontally.

When the students excitedly crack open their containers, they remove the photo negative, scan it, and “process” the photo in photoshop. After inverting the colors and flipping the image, students are able to see the true image. The result is up in the gallery currently: prints of the comparison of the negative and edited positive pinhole photos.

It’s obvious that students and teachers are not only excited, but mystified by the process. Students are eagerly reloading their cameras with fresh light-sensitive paper and taping them up in other locations.

Photo taken by Faye Silvia

Photo taken by Mrs. Troutman