What Is DECA?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What Is DECA?

Erin Tremblay

History:

DECA was formed originally in 1946 by a board of directors who believed schools should form an organization that allows their students to develop socially and be a part of a group. From participating in DECA, students are able to learn life skills such as “problem solving, thinking on your feet, challenging yourself, improving communication and interpersonal skills, risk taking, networking and establishing contacts and connections with outsiders, selling and promoting oneself and ideas.” Today, DECA has over 215,000 members total with 3,500 high school chapters, 275 collegiate chapters and 5,500 advisors. Every year students from around the globe are able to take part in DECA’s programs and activities that constantly evolve with the latest technology and cutting edge research. More than 90% of DECA members say their experience empowered them to be an effective leader and connected school to the real world.

At SBRHS, DECA originally started in the 70’s but eventually ended. Thirty years later, Mr Teixeira brought it back to the school in 2002. Mr Teixeira, a current teacher at SBRHS, was the advisor for about nine years. Then, SBRHS teacher Mrs. Ferris ran the program for two years with the assistance of Mrs Ayer. Finally, Mrs Ayer became the leader, and she is still the current leader today.

Mrs. Ayer, the current DECA advisor, is loved by all her students because she is always there for them when they are in need. Not only has she been the DECA advisor for four years, but she has also been a business teacher who loves what she does.  Mrs. Ayer explains that although she became the DECA advisor by default, it didn’t take her long to see how the program benefits its members. She tells of the success stories one right after another of SBRHS alumni who have used their skills acquired while participating in DECA to not only gain entrance into prestigious colleges but also in moving on to very successful careers after graduation.