Junior Colby Yokell to Attend Prestigious Journalism Conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kathrine Esten, Co-Editor

Colby Yokell, a junior at Somerset Berkley Regional High School, and a co-editor of the Breeze, has been selected to represent Berkley, Massachusetts as a National Youth Correspondent to the 2017 Washington Journalism and Media Conference at George Mason University.

She joins a select group of students from all over the country for an intensive study of journalism and media. She was chosen based on academic accomplishments and a demonstrated interest and excellence in journalism and media studies.

As a National Youth Correspondent, Colby will have the opportunity to explore the creative, practical, and ethical tensions inherent in journalism and media, and even have the chance to hear from a special guest speaker in the field of journalism. Past speakers have been  Hoda Kotb from NBC, Brian Lamb from C-SPAN, Pulitzer Prize winning photographer Carol Guzy, and Sonya Ross from the Associated Press. The week long program, held at George Mason University’s state-of-the-art campus, will encourage and inspire young leaders from across the country who desire a unique experience focused on successful careers in this dynamic industry.

The Washington Journalism and Media Conference will be held July 9 to July 14, 2017.

Colby is a journalist of an unparalleled level at Somerset Berkley who is well admired by not just her advisors, but her fellow newspaper staff, for her dedication to the field of journalism. Colby loves to write about events and pressing issues taking place within the school. Besides writing for The Breeze, Colby plays on the Lady Raiders Varsity soccer team during the fall and her club soccer team the Taunton Sparks throughout the winter and the spring. Also, she is a member of the Big Buddy program, the World Language Club, and the Anti-Bullying Coalition here at the high school year-round. We wish her all the best in pursuing her journalistic aspirations, and look forward to how this experience will allow her to make the  Breeze a better news source for the entire Somerset Berkley community.