Everything You Need to Know About the 2016-2017 School Year

Colby Yokell, Co-Editor

Several changes have occurred that will affect the 2016-2017 school year. Here are some of the changes that students, staff, and parents or guardians should be aware of:

• New Advisory Period
  • New Courtyard Policy
  • New Attendance Policy
    • As a result of local businesses having a hard time hiring students from SBRHS because individuals either show up late to work, only want to leave while they are there, or just do not show up at all, the Steering Committee, the high school administration, the Student Advisory Council, and the Somerset Berkley School Committee adopted a new policy for attendance. The policy is stricter than the old one in an attempt to more heavily enforce the SBRHS core values and beliefs.
    • Highlights of the new policy include the limit of 12 unexcused absences per year for any six credit course (with 13 or more absences, the student will not receive credit for the course) and a limit of 6 unexcused absences for a course containing five or less credits. Furthermore, classroom and school tardies will be tallied ongoing throughout the year, rather than by term. Three unexcused dismissals are equivalent to one unexcused absence. Unexcused dismissals are tallied ongoing throughout the year. Students now have a total of one day to complete make-up work, regardless of whether their absence is excused or unexcused. Also, anyone going on a field trip must turn in the work that is due the day they are leaving. Lastly, athletes must be present the whole school day in order to participate in practices, games or other events unless their tardy or absence is excused.
    • Stay tuned for more on the new attendance policy.
  • Community Service
    • Every student requires 20 hours of community service to graduate.
    • Community service sheets are to be turned into the Main Office instead of to Mr. Gibeau or Mr. Silva.
    • Community service sheets are accessible on the school website.
  • New Electronic Policy
    • Students are now only able to use their phones in the Library and Student Dining Center (unless their teacher instructs them to do so as part of the class).
    • Students are also allowed to use their phones during studies (with teacher approval) to listen to music (one earbud only). However, students should bring work to their studies and should not be on their phones the entire time.
    • Students can use their phones at pep rallies, Case Rallies, and events that take place outside of the school (i.e. football games).
    • Principal Lanczycki said that “we know taking your phone away from you guys is like pulling your heart straight out of your chest.”
    • Discipline remains the same for inappropriate cellphone use.
  • Online Raider Gear
    • School merchandise is now available online. It can be accessed here.

Here are some important things that you should know about the 2016-2017 school year:

• Parking Passes
    • Parking pass forms will be available to pick up at the Main Office on Monday, September 12. Passes are $50 for the year. The system runs on the first-come-first-serve basis.
  • Late Bus
    • Late busses begin on September 19. They run Monday through Thursday at 3:45 P.M. The busses will be located on the stadium side of the building. There is one bus for Berkley students and one for Somerset students.
  • School Calendar
  • MCAS Dates
    • ELA= March 21-23
    • Math= May 16-17
    • Science= June 5-6
  • Senior Events
    • Finals begin May 26
    • Prom is on June 2
    • Graduation is June 9 at 5 P.M.