Seven Question Slam: Mr. Markram

Seven Question Slam: Mr. Markram

Soleil Corvelo, Contributor

Biology and environmental science teacher, Mr. Markram, recently sat down with The Breeze to answer some questions.

Q: If you were not a teacher, what would you be?

A: Probably a nurse or a psychologist. I like to help people and I have a lot of empathy for others.

Q: What did you want to be when you were a kid?

A: When I was a kid I’m pretty sure that my idea of what I wanted to be when I grew up changed on a regular basis. I do remember thinking that I wanted to be a psychologist for quite some time. I also planned to go into journalism at one point in time.

Q: Who is your celebrity crush?

A: My celebrity crush would probably beĀ Lhamo Dondrub, the 14th Dalai Lama. He is such an open minded and compassionate human being. By the way, I interpreted “crush” as “celebrity I admire most”. For clarification purposes, I do not have a “crush” on the Dalai Lama.

Q: What is your favorite restaurant?

A: My favorite restaurant is pretty much any good Indian restaurant. If I had to name one, I would say Rani Mahal Indian Cuisine in Mamaroneck, NY.

Q: What is your favorite topic to teach?

A: I love teaching about DNA and genetics. The elegance of protein translation never ceases to amaze me and the potential future applications of genetic engineering excite me.

Q: If you could have a super power, what would it be?

A: If I could have any super power, I would want to possess all knowledge in the universe.

Q: Who was your favorite teacher? Why?

A: It is hard to pick just one teacher because I am grateful for many educators that have helped to shape me into the person I am today. However, seeing as I ended up becoming a biology teacher, I would have to say Professor Morris. He was one of my biology Professors at Wheaton College (MA). Everyday he came to class and exuded such passion for the material that he made me fall in love with biology.